Irrigation E3 Program
Exposure, Experience & Education for Students & Teachers
New look for the 2020 E3 program! The 2020 E3 program application is now closed. Winners will be announced by Oct. 30.
Irrigation E3 Learners
The Irrigation Association has an Irrigation E3 program, which supports students and teachers involved in irrigation through exposure, experience and education. Students can apply to become Irrigation E3 learners.
With the cancellation of the in-person Irrigation Show and Education Week comes a new look for the 2020 E3 program. While the E3 program may look a bit different this year, there will still be plenty of education, experience and exposure.
A selection committee will choose a minimum of eight students who will receive an education and award to participate in the IA’s virtual Education Week+, which will be hosted Nov. 30-Dec. 4. Students will have the chance to choose from 30 virtual IA University classes. These classes are offered to ensure you have the fundamental and practical skills necessary to design, install or maintain an irrigation system, as well as the business skills to manage a small irrigation company. The curriculum will pair with your chosen path of studies in the irrigation industry.
Students will also participate in networking sessions and spend time with the 2020 E3 program lead sponsor, The Toro Company. This will take place during the week of Dec. 7-Dec. 11. As an added bonus, the winners will be able to attend the IA’s Industry Insights, which is a weekly webinar series that will run from October 2020 to March 2021. The series will showcase the ever-changing and evolving business practices, research and technology in the industry.
Who qualifies to become an Irrigation E3 learner?
- students who have expressed an interest in an irrigation-related career path
- students who are enrolled (undergraduate or graduate) at a North American community college, university or similar institution of higher learning
- students who have taken or are currently enrolled in a class with an emphasis in irrigation
- students who have not been selected in prior years as an E3 learner
- students who have a graduation date of December 2020 or later
What deadlines and dates do I need to be aware of? (tentative)
- August 2020 — Application opens for the 2020 E3 program
- Oct. 8, 2020 — Deadline to submit application
- Oct. 30, 2020 — Notification of application status
- Nov. 30-Dec. 4, 2020 — Education Week+ (virtual)
- Dec. 7-Dec. 11, 2020 — Networking sessions and time with the E3 program lead sponsor (virtual)
- Create a SmarterSelect account.
- Complete the entire form. (You can save form and finish later.)
- Must upload your resume.
- Must submit the name, email, title and organization for one academic reference.
- Reference will get an email from SmarterSelect that requires them to submit a letter of reference for you.
- Submit by 11:59 p.m. Pacific, Oct. 8, 2020.
Irrigation E3 applications are due Oct. 8, 2020, with notification to award winners by Oct. 30, 2020.
For some schools, the Education Week+ dates coincide with final exams or the week prior to final exams; however, the E3 program schedule can be adjusted for students in these situations.
Please contact the workforce development department (703.536.7080) for any questions or concerns.