IrrigationPAC directs contributions to support the election and re-election of congressional candidates who share IA’s commitment to efficient irrigation and our industry.
Contributions are based on the following guidelines adopted and applied by the Board of Advisors.
- All contributions must comply with federal election law, which limits funding to no more than $5,000 per candidate per election. Special, runoff, primary and general elections count as separate elections for funding purposes.
- To preserve limited funds, IrrigationPAC focuses on general (vs. primary) elections. IrrigationPAC favors supporting:
- “Friendly” incumbents seeking re-election to Congress.
- Challengers to other incumbents in cases where the candidate is considered friendly to irrigation interests and has a reasonable chance of winning.
- Candidates in open seat races where the incumbent is not seeking re-election.
Friendly candidates are those with:
- Demonstrated past support of irrigation issues, including co-sponsorship, votes or other measurable backing.
- Established relationships with irrigation professionals and IA members in their home district or state.
- Previous IrrigationPAC support.
- Positions on key congressional committees or other leadership roles.
Under special circumstances and with Board of Advisor approval, IrrigationPAC may:
- Support friendly incumbents in contested primary elections.
- Make “out-of-cycle” contributions to a U.S. Senator more than two years before the election.
- Contribute to political action committees, national campaign committees and the national political parties.
IrrigationPAC does not provide financial support to candidates who:
- Seek to offset campaign debt remaining after a general election (debt retirement contributions).
- Are running for president.
- Seek office outside of the U.S. House of Representatives or U.S. Senate (nonfederal candidates).
Get involved in IrrigationPAC:
- Download the detailed contribution policy.
- Learn more about PAC objectives .
- Download the permission form to request regular updates.
- Contribute to IrrigationPAC.