Past Irrigation Show attendees report that one of the main reasons they come back year after year is to learn about the latest irrigation technologies and innovations. The 2017 technical program presented the latest cutting-edge research covering a variety of irrigation topics. Industry experts presented case studies and research findings on innovations in agriculture and landscape irrigation.
Participants earned 0.33 CEUs for each 20-minute presentation. The sessions were open to all attendees with a full registration.
2018 Agriculture Sessions
Special Session – USDA Ogallala Aquifer Program Related to Center Pivot Technology Transfer
Tuesday, Dec. 4, 8:00 a.m.-12:40 p.m.
- Water in the Cloud: A New System for Field Water Monitoring With Cloud Data Access, Steven R. Evett, PhD, USDA-ARS
- How to Determine the Type of Variable Rate Irrigation Best Suited for My Field, Jake LaRue, Valmont Irrigation
- Adapting a Site-specific Irrigation Scheduling System for Different Climatic Regions, Susan A. O'Shaughnessy, PhD, USDA-ARS
- Grain Sorghum Irrigation in the U.S. Eastern Coastal Plain Using Variable Rate Irrigation, Kenneth Stone, PhD, USDA-ARS
- Tillage Management & Sprinkler-irrigated Corn Production, Freddie Ray Lamm, PhD, Kansas State University
- Machine Learning Algorithms Applied to the Forecasting of Crop Water Stress Indicators, Manuel Alejandro Andrade, PhD, USDA-ARS
- Improving Applications of Center Pivot Irrigation, Dana O. Porter, PhD, Texas A&M University, AgriLife Research & Extension
- Shared & Multiuser Pivots for Small Landholders, Guy Fipps, PhD, PE, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension
- Using Water Technology Farm Concept to Test Different Center Picot Application Packages, Jonathan Aguilar, PhD, Kansas State Research and Extension
- Effect of Limited Water Supplies on Center Pivot Performance, Derrel Martin, PhD, PE, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Effect of Collector Size on Center Pivot Water Depth Catch, Danny H. Rogers, PhD, PE, Kansas State University
- Kansas Center Pivot System Uniformity Evaluations Overview, Danny H. Rogers, PhD, PE, Kansas State University
- Center Pivot Irrigation Efficiency as a Function of Weather & Sprinkler Height, Troy Peters, PhD, Washington State University
Special Session – W3128: USDA-National Institute of Food & Agriculture Multistate Microirrigation Research Group
Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Evaporative Loss Differences Between Subsurface Drip Irrigation & Sprinkler Irrigation - Southern High Plains Experience, Steven R. Evett, PhD, USDA-ARS
- Direct Root Zone Drip Irrigation to Enhance Precision Deficit Irrigation, Pete Jacoby, Washington State University
- Subsurface Drip Fertigation for Site-specific Precision Management of Cotton, Mark Dougherty, PhD, Auburn University
- Soil Moisture & Nutrient Dynamics in Root Zone of Collard Greens Produced in Different Organic Amendments & Rates, Ripendra Awal, Prairie View A&M University
- Potential for Intensification of Maize Production With Subsurface Drip Irrigation, Freddie Ray Lamm, PhD, Kansas State University
- Citrus Water Use & Soil Moisture Distribution Using Regulation Deficit Irrigation, Davie Mayeso Kadyampakeni, PhD, University of Florida
- Effect of Irrigation Methods & Plant Densities on Grapefruit Cultivated in Open Hydroponics System, Rhuanito Soranz Ferrarezi, PhD, University of Florida Institute of Food and Agriculture Sciences Indian River Research and Education Center
- Creation & Adoption of Smart Agriculture Innovations, Clinton C. Shock, PhD, Oregon State University Malheur Experiment Station
Improving Effectiveness of Microirrigation
Wednesday, Dec. 5, 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
- pH & Bicarbonate Management in Irrigation Wate, Jim Gregory, Verdegaal Brother Inc.
- Drippers Performance Applying Treated Swine Effluent, Paola Alfonsa Vieira Lo Monaco, Federal Institute of the Holy Spirit Campus Santa Teresa
- Agronomic & Economic Assessment of Aerating Drip Irrigation Water, Jim Lauria, Mazzei Injector Company
- Soil Moisture Sensor-based Irrigation Scheduling to Optimize Water-use Efficiency in Vegetables, Pappu Kumar Yadav, Center for Irrigation Technology, California State University-Fresno
- Irrigation Management Strategies for Nitrate Leaching Mitigation in Lettuce, Charles F. Cochran, California State University, Fresno
- Subsurface Drip Irrigation Flush Line Design & Precision Flush Management, Dale Allred, AES International PLLC
- Decision Support System for Designing Microirrigation System, Thakur B.S. Rajput, PhD, Indian Agricultural Research Institute
- Performance of Irrigated Black Pepper, Gustavo H.S. Vieira, PhD, Federal Institute of the Holy Spirit Campus Santa Teresa
Optimizing Production & Water Usage in Irrigation
Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2:00 p.m.-4:40 p.m.
- Irrigated Corn Response to Reduced Well Capacity, Alan Schlegel, PhD, Kansas State University
- Optimizing Irrigation Scheduling Using iCrop, Isaya Kisekka, PhD, University of California, Davis
- Comparison of Sensor-based Irrigation Scheduling Method & Arkansas Irrigation Scheduler, Ruixiu Sui, PhD, USDA-ARS Crop Production Systems Research Unit
- Effectiveness of Irrigation Water Management Practices for Furrow Irrigation, Chris Henry, University of Arkansas
- Sugar Cane Productivity Estimation Using Agrometeorology, Ismail Ramalho Haddade, PhD, Federal Institute of the Holy Spirit Campus Santa Teresa
- Characterization of Soil Profiles & Landforms for Effective Irrigation Design & Management, Dave Goorahoo, California State University-Fresno
- Where, When & How Much Water, Jim Etro, Itri Corporation
Optimizing Energy Usage in Irrigation
Thursday, Dec. 6, 10:30 a.m.-12:40 p.m.
- Incentivizing Performance: A New Type of Variable Frequency Drive System Rebate Program, Kyle E. Feist, CAIS, CID, Irrigation Training and Research Center
- Pumping Energy Efficiency - More Than Just Testing Pumps, Rob Welke, Tallemenco Pty Ltd
- Single-phase Electric Power for Agricultural Irrigation, Dale R. Friesen, Meridium Energy
- Manage Irrigation for Energy Conservation & Load Shifting, Charles Hillyer, PhD, Irrigation for the Future
- Engineering Adaptations Optimizing the "Internet of Things" in Agriculture, Robert A. Hibbs, MeasureTek Inc.
- Optimizing Irrigation Strategies for Energy/Water/Yield, John Collin English, Irrigation for the Future
2018 Landscape Session
Irrigation Equipment Performance & Evaluation
Tuesday, Dec. 4, 8:00 a.m.-10:40 a.m.
- Evaluating Operation of Residential Wi-Fi-based Controllers, Charles Swanson, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension
- City of Oklahoma City Median Retrofit Studies With Pressure Regulations, Robert Reaves, CIT, CLIA, Davis Supply Co.
- Actual Rain Sensor Dry-out times Compared to Estimated Soil Dry-out Times, Bernardo Cardenas, University of Florida
- Estimating Annual Water Demands From Irrigation Flow Rates, Kent Sovocool, CLIA, Southern Nevada Water Authority
- Irrigation Water Conservation Programs: 5+ Years of Testing Smart Irrigation Controllers in Single Family Homes, Bernardo Cardenas, University of Florida
- Volatile Organic Compound Regulations, Janet Reilly, Weld-On
- Benefits of In-stem Flow Regulation, Ted Sirkin, Valvette Systems
Water Management Programs, Regulations, Case Studies
Tuesday, Dec. 4, 1:00 p.m.-2:40 p.m.
- Water-efficient Landscape Ordinance Commercial Properties- Saving Water?, Dave Langridge, East Bay Municipal Utility District
- Utility Partnerships Between Parks & Water Conservation, Christine Y. Chavez, CLIA, City of Santa Fe
- Industry-based Water Budget & Enhancement Program, Kyrsten Burr, San Diego County Water Authority
- Educate, Train & Employ High School Students as Summer Water Manager Interns, Christopher J. Eppler, CIC, CID, CLIA, Canyons School District
- Allan Hancock College Case Study, Erin Hagen, Calsense
View a copy of the 2017 Technical Program proceedings. For a searchable PDF, download the document to your computer.